The 2021 soundON Festival of Modern Music INTERNATIONAL CALL FOR SCORES
The ensemble NOISE and San Diego New Music invites submissions of contemporary scores for chamber ensemble. Selected works will be performed at the soundON Festival of Modern Music by members of the ensemble NOISE. The soundON Festival of Modern Music will take place on January 7-10, 2021 at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla, California.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 1, 2020
The soundON Call for Scores invites submissions of works for chamber ensemble (3-7 players) for any of the following instruments. No multiples of instruments, please.
- clarinet (all family)
- flute (all family)
- guitar (acoustic or electric)
- percussion (small set ups and/or vibraphone)
- piano / keyboard/prepared piano
- violin or viola
NOISE will consider works including improvisation, electronics that do not require an additional performer, indeterminate notation or open instrumentation, works that require a conductor, and works of any duration. Please submit a maximum of two scores. All interested composers, at any point in their career are eligible to apply.
NOISE is focused on three artistic trajectories, their histories, and their intersections:
- Complexism, high notation precision, threshold performative challenges, experimental notation and performative techniques. NOISE repertoire includes works by representative composers Brian Ferneyhough, Franklin Cox, James Erber, Christopher Burns, Juan Campoverde Q., Erik Ulman, Anton Webern, Elliott Carter, Evan Johnson and Stuart Saunders Smith.
- High-intensity grooves, minimalism, postminimalism. NOISE repertoire includes works by representative composers Christopher Adler, Louis Andriessen, Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Frederic Rzewski, Tom Johnson, Bill Ryan, and Evan Ziporyn.
- Evocative aural soundscapes. NOISE repertoire includes works by representative composers John Luther Adams, Matthew Burtner, Sidney Corbett, Sidney Marquez Boquiren, Morton Feldman, Sungji Hong, Orlando Jacinto Garcia, Kaija Saariaho, Linda Catlin Smith, and Toru Takemitsu.
Submission deadline: August 1, 2020
CALL FOR SCORES APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants should submit to email@example.com with SDNM in the subject line:
- Your bio
- Title of each submission
- Program note for each submission
- Link to audio or video of the work, if available
- PDF of the scores (two scores maximum, please)
Please scan any hand-written materials. Please do not email audio or video files; these will not be accepted. Please post audio or video on a streaming service such as Youtube, Soundcloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive and include the link on the submission form.
Questions? Send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org